Fw: GNOME File Selector 0.1 released

jacob berkman said:
> i mean, we have a not-so-bad file manager (2, actually) but we don't
> have a good file sel dialog.

True, but wouldn't it be nice to have a good file manager, rather than a
not-so-bad pair of file managers? I'm not bashing Nautilus, so let's not
crank up that flamewar. But there's a fair amount of inconsistency in Gnome
at the moment. File managers, run dialogs, file selectors all work
differently.

One of the other features that I think is well implemented and useful in
Windows (I say this because I use it all the time when I'm running windows),
is the "run" dialog's handling of pathnames and URLs. The primary way I open
browsers and file manager windows is with key shortcuts:

start (win key of crtl-esc)
run (type "r")
\\server\path\etc  or http://www.google.com, or whatever
enter

Very fast. Win2000 does it even better by putting possible matches and
previous entries in a drop-down box, so as I type, I can then
arrow-down+enter an entry. Even faster.

Pawel said:
> Should a mere file selection widget be dependent on an application,
> large application like nautilus (which in turn depends on ...long
> list...)? I think not.

I understand, but how will consistency be achieved? Careful duplication of
features and behavior between the file manager and the file selector, and
the run dialog for that matter? Or sharing of code? Or some other means?