Re: Fw: GNOME File Selector 0.1 released

On 08 Aug 2001 11:30:27 -0400, Michael Rothwell wrote:

> jacob berkman said:
> > i mean, we have a not-so-bad file manager (2, actually) but we don't
> > have a good file sel dialog.
>
> True, but wouldn't it be nice to have a good file manager, rather than a
> not-so-bad pair of file managers? I'm not bashing Nautilus, so let's not
> crank up that flamewar. But there's a fair amount of inconsistency in Gnome
> at the moment. File managers, run dialogs, file selectors all work
> differently.

that's because gnome is made up of different things written by different
people at different points in gnome's history, when different
technologies / libs were available.  and fixing this stuff is neither
all that easy or fun, so it tends to not happen much.

> One of the other features that I think is well implemented and useful in
> Windows (I say this because I use it all the time when I'm running windows),
> is the "run" dialog's handling of pathnames and URLs. The primary way I open
> browsers and file manager windows is with key shortcuts:

i don't know what the gnome run dialog does with files and directories
since mine is broken right now, but i believe it handles uris.

> start (win key of crtl-esc)
> run (type "r")

(you know you can just do win+r to do this?)

i had C-M-r bound to the gnome run dialog but george broke handling of
the meta key there i think.

> \\server\path\etc  or http://www.google.com, or whatever
> enter
>
> Very fast. Win2000 does it even better by putting possible matches and
> previous entries in a drop-down box, so as I type, I can then
> arrow-down+enter an entry. Even faster.

i'm working on finishing up the (non-history) autocompletion in the
file-sel which will do this too.

jacob
--
"OOH!!!  Look at me!!  I'm Jacob Berkman!  I have a witty .signature
 that nobody fully appreciates but myself!!"  -- Anonymous