Re: file-sel API issues

On 10 Aug 2001 06:57:08 +0800, Ian McKellar wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 09, 2001 at 03:28:53PM -0400, jacob berkman wrote:
> >
> > so i am inviting people to comment on bugs listed in the query linked
> > from here:
> >
> > http://bug-buddy.org/gnome-file-selector/#outstanding-api
>
> The functionality and UI of the file selector are great but that API is really
> a mouthful. Will there be a simple, non-Bonobo API for apps? Something closer
> to the current GNOME or KDE file selector APIs?

well gtk's file-sel api isn't all that nice - you have to connect
directly to the buttons and also manipulate the clist directly to get
multiple files.  since there is no real api for that, doing the same
thing in multiple applications open different files (try selecting a
file in the list, then type a different one in the entry - gimp, gedit,
and gnumeric give different results).

as for kde, i took a look at their api this week and it had most of the
same options as this one.  the do have a one-line call to do all this.
sadly, there isn't (yet) a BonoboDialog api which this would probably
need.

theoretically we could have put that functionality in gnome-libs, but i
take it things are a bit too late for that, so i (or someone else) can
probably do a little wrapper.

but that isn't on the short-term time scale, and i don't even thing the
bonobo api is all that difficult to use.

jacob
--
"OOH!!!  Look at me!!  I'm Jacob Berkman!  I have a witty .signature
 that nobody fully appreciates but myself!!"  -- Anonymous