Re: Future of MDI in gnome

Jaka Mocnik wrote:

> Laurent Marzullo wrote:
>

> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm currently developping my first Gnome application: Gargoyle. And I
> > would like
> > to use MDI. To do this, I use GTK-- and Gnome--. So when I ask question
> > about
> > MDI in the GTK-- list, I've got answer which says that MDI is not well
> > supported
> > in Gnome and that MDI support will be perhaps no more supported in the
> > future.
>
> as of GNOME 2.0, GnomeMDI will go in compat library. It is deprecated,
> so you shouldn't really be using it for new projects.
>
> I have plans to implement a shell for bonobo embeddables and controls.
> it will function similarly to GnomeMDI (similar layout capabilities -
> notebook, toplevel windows, single paned window...), but bonobo will
> be used for all the UI-merging stuff. this will probably find its
> place in the bonobo-extra module and not in the core libraries for the
> time being.

So as you (Laurent) plan to use C++, and SDI seems to be the new GNOME
way, I recommend my Bakery framework. It makes it easy for you to create
a GNOME SDI app which can open several documents in separate instances.
Otherwise you'll have to implement a lot of generic functionality
yourself. However, it doesn't use Bonobo UI stuff yet.

--
Murray Cumming
www.murrayc.com