Re: filesel dialogs

On Mon, 2001-12-10 at 14:04, Adrian Hosey wrote:

> On 10 Dec 2001, Sean Middleditch wrote:
> :
> : Speaking of which, for the love of the gods, in GNOME 2, trim down the
> : damn libraries.  gal and eel should be formed into gnome-ui, oaf and
> : bonobo and all those that are all components of one system should be
> : merged into one package, etc.  People are often complaining about that
> : hell they have to go thru to get all the packages together.  Not
> : everyone is using apt!  (And don't even get me started on Red Carpet,
> : I've almost never seen that thing work right.)
>
> I disagree with this. Why do most people think object-oriented source code
> is a great idea, but an equal number of people oppose finely-grained
> shared object files? Many of the advantages are the same. The main
> complaint seems to be that it's too hard to keep track of them all, but
> who's the target audience here? People who compile the software, or people
> who use the software? (And don't say they're the same group! That vision
> limits GNOME to a niche.)

You have a point, one that I agree with.  But you can't deny that there
are a lot of people who complain about GNOME, and state how much easier
it is to install KDE.  Even if you're not compiling, you have to
download tons of RPM's or DEB's or whatever package format to install
them, grab the right versions, all that.  Yes, we have Ximian and so on,
but the funny think about KDE is that they don't *need* a Ximian, so to
speak.  I personally haven't had a problem (apt-get rules) but
apparantly a lot of other people are.

If you guys don't want to combine the package, perhaps make some "super
packages" ?  I.e., a tarball of related GNOME packages, the user can
unpack that and run a single ./configure && make && make install to get
everything running.  If nothing else, that'll make sure that they always
have the correct versions of the pacakges to work together.