Re: Security reports in bugzilla?

Well,

this is the whole question of Open source software vs closed software. I think that the stand at the moment can be summarised like this:

The Free Software Foundation is for total disclosure as soon as possible.
Microsoft is for total secrety until the patch is released.

There are arguments on both sides of the story, and a search on the Internet will give you all the arguments of both camps. However GNU , I think, is for total disclosure as early as possible, so as the G in GNOME means GNU then the path is easy to follow.

Please note, that to discover there is a problem doesn't mean you have to publish an exploit too. Many of the security issues are potential vulnerabilities, which means they don't have an exploit yet and have time to be fixed and included in the next stable release and distributed. The bugtraq people could ensure that exploit code is removed from bugzilla.

Anyhow, exploit codes are plentifull on the internet...

Check the recent glibc fix and the rumour about an ssh exploit not publicly known.

look:
www.linuxtoday.com
www.incidents.org
www.securityfocus.org

I think the worst part is people not adminiting that their soft is vulnerable or may not be perfect. They put the industry at risk.

For instance www.phpnuke.org is a great software, but the last post on security is from september 2000. There is a message every week on bugtraq (www.securityfocus.org) about a cross scripting issue....

Cheers
Franck sopac org