gnome canvas sluggish with GDK_MOTION_NOTIFY

Hi.

I am using the gnome canvas heavily to develop a georeferencing application.  I have many nested groups on the canvas and I am finding that mouse movement piles up events.  The more groups I have  the more sluggish the mouse movement becomes.  Are there any tricks I can use to speed this up?  I anticipate having as many as 100 groups on the canvas at one time.

I am using gnome-libs 1.2.4.

Thanks,
Andrej