Re: building from sources troubles

Robert Schweikert wrote:
> When trying to compile the control-center (version 1.2.3) code I get the
> following error:
> gcc -g -O2 -Wall -Wunused -o .libs/theme-selector-capplet
> /usr/lib/ undefined reference to
> `XpmCreateXpmImageFromBuffer'
> /usr/lib/ undefined reference to `XpmFreeXpmInfo'
> /usr/lib/ undefined reference to `XpmGetErrorString'
> /usr/lib/ undefined reference to
> `XpmCreateXpmImageFromData'
> /usr/lib/ undefined reference to `XpmFreeXpmImage'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[3]: *** [theme-selector-capplet] Error 1

It didn't find, so it didn't add -lXpm to
the linker command.  Something went wrong in configure.

> looking at gtkxmhtml I have to say the linker is not lying:
> ->nm -Bg /usr/lib/ | grep XpmCreateXpmImageFromBuffer
>         U XpmCreateXpmImageFromBuffer
> This points me to the gnome-libs package, I am using 1.2.11. When
> configuring the libs I noticed the following:
> checking for XpmFreeXpmImage in -lXpm... no

Not good.  This can be fixed.

> but this is not true:
> ->nm -Bg /usr/X11R6/lib/ | grep XpmFreeXpmImage
> 0000c45c T XpmFreeXpmImage
> and /usr/X11R6/lib is in the loader path
> ->at /etc/
> # Begin /etc/
> /lib
> /usr/lib
> /usr/local/lib
> /usr/X11R6/lib
> # End /etc/
> Another thing I noticed is that I get the following:
> checking for perl5... no
> but;
> ->perl -v
> This is perl, v5.6.0 built for i686-linux

Not good.  This can be fixed too.

> Does anyone have any idea what could be going on here? What can I do to
> make this work? I am trying to build a Linux system from scratch and
> would really like to run GNOME on it.
> As a trick I added -lXpm to the link flags in the Makefile og
> gtk-xmhtml, rebuild the libraries and then tried the control-center, but
> that didn't get me anywhere either. As I got an unresolved symbol in Xpm
> "_fxstat" not that I know what this means either.
> I also tried the 1.2.3 version og the libs package with no success.
> Any help is appreciated.
> Thanks,
> Robert

Some thoughts:

  1)  You'll need to go back, near the start of compiling
      all your libs and start rebuilding the apps and
      capturing the output of configure.  Start checking
      for those 'no' answers that should be 'yes'.

  2)  Look in the config.cache and determine what dependancy
      failed and try to fix it by defining variables just before
      the configure command like the following example:
            LIBS="-lsocket -lnsl" ./configure
            LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/BerkeleyDB/lib" ./configure
      Most of my problems could be fixed in that fashion, though
      you'll need to put substitute the correct info between quotes.

  3)  The config.cache will tell you what failed when it was looking
      for libXpm.  It looks like it uses

                 LIBS="-lXpm $x_libs $LIBS"
      for that test, and so it probably could be fixed with some LIBS.

  4)  The statments in configure to find perl are a simple directory
      search of PATH.  Check that.  They do have a workaround, though,
      and you do that by using the PERL environment varirable the same
      way you use LIBS, NM, and other variables:
               PERL=/usr/local/bin/perl ./configure

  5)  $ nm /usr/local/lib/ | grep _fxstat
         U _fxstat
      So here you can see that -fxstat is a valid function in libXpm.
      What Xpm version are you using, and why is it hosed :)

Good Luck.  I'm in the same state of flux, needing to start
over again, because the gnome I built probably only found 98%
of what it needed.  I didn't understand any of what I've told
you here, until it was too late :)


[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]