Re: gnome-devel-list digest, Vol 1 #538 - 5 msgs

> Subject: gnome/gnu server proposal
> From: Bob Smith <bob thestuff net>
> To: gnome-devel-list gnome org
> Cc: gnome-2-0-list gnome org
> Date: 05 Jul 2001 11:18:01 -0600
>
> Hello all,
> 	I was thinking about some things, Novell, SMB, email, netscape's
> roaming, .NET, SOAP, Passport and came up with a rather interesting
> idea. GNOME's goal is to create a network centric platform, but
> currently it is rather tied down to unixes single machine arcitecture. I
> propose a new server protocol to provide authentication, metadata, and
> user only preferences. What will this acomplish?

I think another protocoll will solve very little. There are too many to
learn and use already. For a networkcentric system, usable with GNOME in
the near future, check out the GNU system based on HURD at
http://www.debian.org/ports/hurd

That's the bet I think. YMMV.

/andreas