Gnome API?

Someone was talking about a gnome API.

I'm running Nautilus instead of gmc and I have set up Nautilus to be my
default desktop. However it seems that gmc is still running in the
background, and that when I log on gmc desktop starts first and then
load nautilus which takes over the desktop without removing gmc but just
hides it.

Would it be possible to define a set of Gnome APIs so that any software
compliant with these APIs could be the default desktop?

It would allow to choose between gmc, nautilus or may be galeon as a
desktop.

Am I making sense?

Franck sopac org