Re: Alternate data directories

On Tue, Jun 05, 2001 at 06:21:05AM -0500, gnome-devel-list thewrittenword com wrote:

> Say I have GNOME 1.4 installed in /opt/gnome14 and compile GGV to
> install into /opt/ggv10. When I start GGV, it looks for the help files
> in:
>   /opt/gnome14/share/gnome/help/ggv/C/topic.dat
>
> Needless to say this won't work as GGV has this installed as:
>   /opt/ggv10/share/gnome/help/ggv/C/topic.dat
>
> Any way to tell GNOME to look in multiple data directories? I've
> perused the gnome_help_file_find_file() code in
> gnome-libs-1.2.13/libgnome/gnome-help.c and from what I see it does
> not seem possible.

Unfortunately, in Gnome 1.2 and Gnome 1.4, you are doomed. It is assumed
that everything Gnomey is installed under the same part of your tree.

As you and a *lot* of other people have noticed, this isn't exactly
ideal, so from when Gnome-2.0 comes out, you will be able to specify
install prefixed for each program seperately and things will work.

Cheers,
Malcolm

--
Atheism is a non-prophet organization.