My proposals for Gnome

Here you go..,

I'm emailing a couple of proposals that might be of interest to Ximian that
I've posted in the past, that I'm curious if you happened to see.  They are
not related to the motivation/assistance side of things [refers to a
previous email exchange], but would, I believe, be valuable advancements for
Free Software, Gnome, and Ximian.

1) Feature Request/Marketing Survey system
2) An automated bug discovery and reporting tool
3) Highly advanced help and searching tools (The Ultimate Help system)
4) An advanced backup/storage service for Ximian

1) Feature Request/Marketing Survey system-

Back when the Evolution mailing list first opened I started doing a 'Feature
Request List' which I believe you are having Duncan do right now.  What I'd
like to do, is have a web page or program set up so that when they are using
a program they can request a feature right then.  I realize that the bug
tracking tools have this built in, but they are really to complex for a
typical user.  Also, features should be actively solicited - many users,
especially the less assertive - are uncomfortable requesting/suggesting
additional features because they feel that doing so is ungrateful.  Compare
the number of features suggested before and after my solicitation of
features on the Evolution mailing list.  We went from about 10 suggestions/
requests to about 200 or so (Which pared down to about 150 or so...) in a
very short period of time.

Thus what I suggest is a pop-up message that asks (after the user has used
the product a couple of times, or a week, or something), if the user has any
features that they wish were available, or if they have any complaints or
annoyances that they wish were changed.

Thus you would likely be getting feedback from 90% of your users, whereas
now, you probably only receive feedback from less than 1%.

The second stage of this is the survey.  This would popup once a month (or
so), and have users rate the feature requests that they and others have made
as to how desirable/important they are.  (The requests would likely be
sanitized and aggregated, etc. since many of the requests will be
duplicates).  The survey might also request some basic demographic
information (such as type of work/job) and ask for user skill level
information.  Then you will likely find for instance, that for some
demographics - say Administrators - a feature such as 'Bounce' (a command
for mail clients that forwards an email as if it were the original sender -
useful if you get a lot of mail that is directed to the wrong person) is a
Killer Feature for Admins, whereas it leaves Accountants and Secretaries
cold.

Since Ximian (I assume) plans to target businesses in the not too distant
future, this might be very valuable in finding features to entice business
users to switch from that 'Other Brand'.

Note that your corporate partners, such as IBM and Sun might be interested
in having their employees take such a survey.  Also, many Admins that
currently use Linux might be willing to have their users take such a survey.

2) An automated bug discovery and reporting tool

This should be a cooperative effort between Ximian, RH, SourceForge, and
everyone else under the sun.  What I'd like to see is Tinderbox set up with
additional functionality - so that upon CVS checkin a list of things happens

a) Runs Lint b) Runs a Pretty Printer (checks for white space
consistency...) c) Compiles software with a memory profiler debugger etc. d)
Runs the software with a memory shaker, a tool that gives garbage input,
etc.  5) Generates bug reports 'automagically' (just adding a comment to
previous bug reports that give the same error message), and sends an email
to whoever broke the CVS (assuming that it doesn't compile)

I emailed Leaf mozilla org and I've attached his response below.  (Basically
he says none of the above should be a problem to implement).  Also when I
posted the idea to gnome-devel, Havoc though it was a great idea, and that
getting the hardware wouldn't be a problem, but getting a script maintainer
for it might be.  Since many projects are already using Tinderbox (i.e.
Ximian, Mozilla, and Eazel) it would likely be valuable to centralize them
so that we aren't getting massive duplication of effort.  This should speed
development time for all of the projects and should result in bugs being
caught much sooner (and thus being less costly to discover and fix).

3) Ultimate Help System

I'll just attach the original emails.  Telsa suggested some clarification,
namely that the response system is not limited to IRC, but that IRC is a
example system that could be used. I've included the relevant quoted
material from my exchange with Telsa below.  I had lots of positive feedback
on this, I'm currently looking at the Gnome Doc list to see what I need to
do to try and implement it.

"In reality, I was thinking of an Admin setting up a local help channel.
The admin then requires all (most?) help requests to be submitted via the
help.

The users aren't actually accessing IRC, nor do the admins actually need to
be in IRC to receive the message - any sort of messaging service would work
fine as long as there a is a way for the user to enter the question, and the
admin to send the response.

The admin then uploads his responses/mappings of various questions and
answers to a central repository.  The questions and answers are then updated
for use by those in the future.

It really wasn't meant to direct stuff to current gnome-help channels, just
allow admins to act collectively and allow companies such as Redhat, sun,
IBM, Suse, etc. that sell tech support - to add this as an option as a
'value-add' to their distributions (thus they would have a proprietary
channel to ask questions for their paying customers )."

4) Improved backup service

basically, most current back up systems have you back up everything to the
network, which is highly wasteful.  Instead, back up custom data and any
special configurations.  Restore the majority of the system from a Stock
Redhat/Debian/Whatever CD but the install would be guided by backup, which
would only install their previous software.  Then it would download the
custom configuration and data, and boom - your back in business.  Thus this
backup system could be used for those with lower bandwidth (I.e. - me
sharing a dual ISDN line with 6 coworkers), yet still allow a full system
recovery without the hassles of frequent manual backups.

Ok, I'm done, thanks for listening, and good luck with Ximian,

Tom M.
TomM pentstar com