Re: Canvas shortcomings

On 17 Jun 2001 22:59:04 -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:
> I think the concern is eventually having a consistent API for
> different types of rendering - not because you can't program around
> different interfaces - but primarily reduce the amount of learning for
> and work for the programmer.

I think Lauris has a point, though, in that you can't make the API
over-consistent: eg,

	a. GnomeCanvas needs to be able to contain widgets
	b. Printing widgets doesn't make much sense [1]

[1] Well, certainly it would be nice to be able to. And, with enough
work, it could be possible -- "enough" meaning "I don't know how much
but my gut feeling is 'a lot'."

So I think Lauris is right that you can't have one Dream API that does
everything optimally well. But he's also right that there are certainly
common themes that printing and rendering have in common.

--
Peter Williams     peter newton cx / peterw ximian com

"Why should I have to change my name? He's the one who
sucks!"                              -- Michael Bolton