Re: Heated agreement? (was) Re: Canvas shortcomings

On 20 Jun 2001 06:15:08 +1000, Martin Sevior wrote:
> It seems to me that we're in heated agreement that there should be a set
> of virtual primitive functions that call arbitary backend graphics
> contexts. Right?
>
> To start the ball rolling I could post the set implemented by AbiWord if
> that would help in establishing what set of virtual functions should be
> defined.

Well, I try to word my initial problem more clearly.

We are talking about TWO generic graphic API-s

1. Drawing API (like libart or Gdk drawing calls)

2. Object-building API (like current canvas API)

Whehter we need (1)? Whether we need (2)? If we need both, should they
be connected? If yes, then how?

Now, is the question relevant at all?
IMHO it is. People are constantly talking about adding ::print to
canvas, or migrating all graphic code to single API. One cannot talk
about those issues meaningfully, without answering abovementioned
questions first.

Best wishes,
Lauris Kaplinski