Re: Heated agreement? (was) Re: Canvas shortcomings

On 27 Jun 2001 17:29:20 +1000, Nathan Hurst wrote:
> Sorry to keep going...

;)

Unfortunately for common API proponents SVP-s are not suitable for
abstract rendering API:

1. They are grid-bound - you have to convert bpath into lines, and you
   certainly do not want to do that in resolution-independent way...
2. You cannot transform SVP-s easily

So you can use SVP-s for common or reasonably similar API for low-level
graphic operations for specific grid matrix - but IMHO it does not
interface nicely with high-level, grid-independent API - which has to
use bpaths and transformations.
Plus SVP-s are not optimizations at all for many rendering targets
(like plain X or PostScript) - so you still have to decide, which
real target you are optimizing for...

Best wishes,
Lauris Kaplinski