Re: Canvas shortcomings

Soeren Sandmann <sandmann daimi au dk> writes:

> > As you mentioned below in your message, the ::update() method should
> > get passed a structure with the clip path, global opacity, etc.  We
> > can extend that structure instead of passing many arguments.
>
> Would this mean that a child could "know" that it was clipped to a
> certain rectangle?

Sort of; but the clip path is actually meant to be a generic vector
path or an alpha mask, not just a plain rectangle.

> I imagine an item could draw itself differently depending on what area
> if it was visible.  For example, a table-item could decide that its
> headers should always be visible, even if the table was only partly
> shown.

Uh, no, this would be the completely wrong way to implement it :)

Canvas items are supposed to be translationally invariant.  Otherwise,
fast scrolling would not be possible.

  Federico