Re: [Vlad Harchev <hvv hippo ru>] problem with session management ingnome-1.4beta1

>  OK, then my memory is corrupted (I'm not 100% sure that gnp was
> restarting, but I have an impression that it did) and gnotepad wasn't
> restarting for me. I'm sorry for confusion then.

Okay...maybe it's me who's confused...I didn't have either on my system
and assumed gnotepad is the same as gnp?....In any case, it's a fault of
the original application and their implementation of the save_yourself
command [see libgnomeui/gnome-client.h]

>  Hmm, just tried again. I'm getting impression that in order to restart named
> session, I have to use gnome-session with some argument from commandline,
> since when I select another default session in gnomecc (having "save session
> on logout" unchecked), logout and login, and get the session I just left
> (since it's apprently was saved).
>
>  What I (and probably all users) expected is when I logout (just after
> changing a name of default session via gnomecc), the session I quit gets saved
> under previous "default session name" (or the one I was started), so that
> when I login next time, I get another session (a state that was saved in
> recently-became-new "default session"); in reality (behaviour of gnome-1.4b1)
> the session I quit seems to get saved under new "default session name" - i.e.
> when I login I'll get the session with state I just quit. This means
> that without involving gnome-session from commandline user won't see ANY
> visible trace of named session support.
>  Also it seems that "save session" options gets useless (since gnome-session
> ignores it and save session unconditionally). (I.e. having that option
> unchecked and "don't ask to confirm saving session" checked and without
> changing name of "default session", session still gets saved.

Okay...the way it *should* work is the following -

gnomecc get the list of saved sessions from the ~/.gnome/session file and highlights
the current session you have loaded. It then gives you an opportunity of being able
to edit the name of the current session, adding new sessions and editing existing
sessions. This only affects ~/.gnome/session file. When you highlight a session,
it changes the name of the session that gnome-session holds in memory and also
changes the ~/.gnome/session-options file.

So in order to change to a different session, you must highlight the session you
want [which most importantly changes the CurrentSession key/value pair in
~/.gnome/session-options], make sure that the autosave check box is off and
then logout. Upon logging back in again, you *should* get the new session you
previously highlighted with associating applications.

But what is currently happening is that gnome-session is saving on logout
[and seems to have a habit of saving at other times too] regardless of what you
do. This is a bug which I've been trying to fix [although not very successfully].

The --choose-session=ARG is really designed for remote displays. Actually it would
be nice to be able to select a session to load from gdm, but that's not a beta
issue ;)

> Multisession support in theory is very cool feature to me, and all I
> have to dream now is reality matching that theory :)

And a misery to code :/ [or maybe that's just gsm...]

			See ya,
				Glynn ;)