using X11 event loop with Gtk+

Hi,

Please excuse my naivete. I am fresh on this list.

Is there an example of using the Gtk widgets with a non Gdk event loop?

So far I can only get it to work when I have already created all of my
widgets, the fork()'ed, and the drop into the Gtk main loop.

Trying the same thing with threads and work procedures seems to cause a
problem, which I think is because my regulare X11 event loop is grabbing
the events.

I am considering using XOpenDisplay() twice, one for each side of the
fork() call.

I am looking for a Gtk version  of what Trolltech did with merging Qt
and Xt type widgets together.

Thanks for your help,

Robert