Re: patch for select in zvt

Nathan Hurst wrote:

On Tue, 15 May 2001, Iain wrote:

This is a nicer way than the Windows.
iain

The classic solution to this on Macintosh is that a drag that starts with a double-click selects words at a time and a drag that starts with a triple-click selects lines at a time.

Absolutely!  This is the nicest way proposed so far.  The user already
understands double-click, and double-click is easy to do (you don't need
to move your hands).  It's also well defined and easy to explain.

njh

Hmm, yet another skill users have to learn. Do you have any idea how hard it was for me to get my mom to even double click in the first place? And then to stop double clicking on everything, e.g. links?

What we need is something as totally unobtrusive as possible. Something that beginning users may not even notice! That is why I suggested variable rate selection. Drag fast -> select by word, drag slow -> select by char. Much easier than double clicking and holding the button down. I mean, go find a granny and try to just *explain* that scheme to her!

Ok, now double click and start dragging.
No, double click first.
No, click and hold the button down.
No, double click.
No, you need to double click and hold the button down.
No, click and then click again and hold the button down.
Great, now do it faster.
And drag, go ahead now . . . .

;) -b

--
"One trend that bothers me is the glorification of
stupidity, that the media is reassuring people it's alright not to know anything. That to me is far more dangerous than a little pornography on the Internet." - Carl Sagan