Re: patch for select in zvt

The use cases for selecting and pasting in zvt include pasting complex
fragments of Unix commands, where often the idea of what constitutes a
word will depend on the particular command.  Automatically extended a
selection to cover a "word" will proabbyl not be useful in a great
many common cases.

So I would agree that the Macintosh-style selections, as (approximately?)
copied by xterm, are a good way to go.  If you double-click, a word
is selected (and you can define what constitutes a word, and many
people do indeed change it). In word-selection mode, the right-click
extends the selection by a word.  zvt should use shift-click I assume,
as right-click brings up a menu, although I suddenly realise that what I
had always thought was a bug, that right-click stops working in the
window with the selection, is actually a feature!!!

As a special case, double-clicking a URL to select it mught be useful,
althuogh I think the underline might imply to people that double-clicking
(or even single clicking) would launch the URL in a browser.  That's a
separate topic though.

It would also be good if zvt supported drag and drop of the selection.
I have used terminal emulators that did this, and found it useful to
(for example) drag a filename into a file open box.

As for a large control panel, I'd expect to be able to change the
gnome-terminal selection behaviour in gnome-terminal; it'd be nice if
there was an option for those preferences to apply to just that currently
running terminal, all terminals of that class, all terminals, or all uses
of zvt, but the gnome perferences don't seem that sophisticated :(

Lee

--
Liam Quin - Barefoot in Toronto - liam holoweb net - http://www.holoweb.net/
Ankh: irc.sorcery.net www.valinor.sorcery.net irc.gnome.org www.advogato.org