Re: Speaker verification in gdm

Jean-Marc Valin wrote:

Malcolm Tredinnick a écrit :

On Sun, May 20, 2001 at 11:55:30PM -0400, Jean-Marc Valin wrote:

I don't know PAM, but I suppose I'll need a couple non-standard things, like
prompting (sending a wav?) the user and/or waiting for a certain key to be
pressed before recording. I don't know PAM at all, so I don't know whether it
would do the job.

This is exactly why you do want PAM. :-)

The whole idea (warning: broad brush strokes, read the documentation and
the web for details) is that your Pluggable Authentication Module is
called for certain types of access (in this case gdm login). You do
whatever magic you need to work out whether the user is authorised or
not. That is really all the calling process cares about -- yes or no. So
all the stuff that is "special" to your sound authentication method
(which sounds pretty cool, btw) is encapsulated in the PAM.

Would it be possible to do speaker _identification_? By that I mean that you say
something and the system recognizes _who_ you are and logs you in (or say that
you're no in the list of users).

	Jean-Marc

You can do anything you want. All PAM does is invoke a module which returns 'yes' or 'no'. You code the module and it can do anything you want. You could authenticate by the phase of the moon if you wanted to!

-b

--
"One trend that bothers me is the glorification of
stupidity, that the media is reassuring people it's alright not to know anything. That to me is far more dangerous than a little pornography on the Internet." - Carl Sagan