Re: Reminder of dates

On 14Nov2001 10:20AM (+0000), Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 14 Nov 2001, Telsa Gwynne wrote:
>
> >   GNOME 2.0 Release Schedule
> >
> >     October 24  Package List FREEZE - package list for Gnome 2.0 finalized
> >     October 31  PACKAGES DUE - Gnome 2. Platform Alpha 2
> >     November 2  RELEASE - Gnome 2.0 Platform Alpha 2
> >     November 2  API FREEZE - any further API changes must be individually
> >                 approved [1]
> >
> >  -> YOU ARE HERE. (Imagine a large red blob, if you will.)
> >

> >     November 23 Feature FREEZE - no feature additions for core packages w/o
> >                 approval of release team [1]
>
> 	Am I alone in thinking that it is completely ridiculous to
> even hope that in nine days time we will have a feature complete
> desktop?

As Sander said, 1.4 was more or less feature complete, so any new
features not ready by the 23rd don't go in.

> 	I know we want this release out fast, but to me, this schedule
> merely sets us up for failure.

It does look like the porting effort might not be far enough along in
time for the upcoming beta. In that case releasing prematurely would
be foolish.

The release team will review this and adjust the schedule if needed.

However, blowing out the API freeze and feature freeze dates will only
make the slippage WORSE. Therefore, while we may adjust the release
dates, I do not foresee us moving the freeze dates, especially not
ones that have already happened.

Regards,

Maciej