RE: Active Directories

On Thu, 2001-11-22 at 21:53, Franck Martin wrote:

> I would put a word of caution in designing such system, is that a file
> dropped there does not create a security problem by having the script
> executing malicious code. I think the mime database should flag what is code
> and what is document from the mime types, so that all applications could use
> the flagging system with documents to warn users about the execution of
> code...

I don't follow.  The active directories would only execute the scripts
they were designed to; dropping an executable or script in the directory
wouldn't cause it to be run, unless the "Active Script" chooses to
execute it.  The danger here isn't any worse than opening a script or
executable in Gnumeric.  If Gnumeric blidnly executed code in files it
opened (think Word macro virii) then there'd be a problem, tho.
Likewise, the writers of "Active Scripts" would have to be careful.

Unless i totally misunderstood you there, I don't think there is a
serious security problem.  Given my intellect, tho, the former is mroe
likely... ~,^

Sean Etc.