how to draw ?

hi,
i'm making a program that takes a unknow video format and tries to play it
this video has a bitmap so it was easy for me to make a frame, like a ppm
file.
Now i would like to play every frame on my X-window box ( have you ever see
amor ? something like that ) but i don't know where to start to draw it .
i looked to Xlib but it seem a little difficult.
i wonder know how i could do with gnome
thanks
Samuele

--
Samuele Tonon  <samu linuxasylum net>
Undergraduate Student  of  Computer Science at  University of Bologna, Italy