Re: adding deps to libgnomecanvas

[ please discuss on gnome-2-0 list, rather than gnome-devel ]

On Fri, 2001-10-26 at 10:45, Tim Janik wrote:
> 2001-10-26  Michael Meeks  <michael ximian com>
>
>         * glade/glade-canvas.c (glade_module_register_widgets):
>         register the canvas widget with the new API.
>
> 2001-10-24  jacob berkman  <jacob ximian com>
>
>         * glade/glade-canvas.c: moved from libglade/glade/
>
>         * configure.in: add libglade checks
>
>         * Makefile.am (SUBDIRS): build glade/
>

> this adds libglade as a dependancy to libgnomecanvas just to:
>
> void
> glade_module_register_widgets (void)
> {
>     glade_provide ("canvas");
>     glade_register_widget (GNOME_TYPE_CANVAS,
>                            glade_standard_build_widget,
>                            NULL, NULL);
> }
>
> this is extreme overkill, libglade can easily check if
> libgnomecanvas is present or not.
> if this were taken as exemplary code, *every* library that
> contains gtk widgets other than gtk itself will have to
> have a hard libglade dependancy which is pretty unacaptable.

how is it unacceptable?

this has been brought up time and time again, and was never rejected for
a good reason, and we finally decided to fix it for gnome 2 before it's
too late.

alternatively, one could say that the libgnomecanvas dependency that
would be in libglade is equally as lame - it would only be for
gnome_canvas_get_type().

jacob
--
"Beat mixing is 10000 times more fun than even video games."
	-- bt