Wallpaper Funnies

I've found that very large desktops with wallpaper are mishandled by
gnome.

% gnome-config --version
gnome-libs 1.2.13

Specifically, my desktop is 2048x1536.  The desktop icons don't set
their backgrounds correctly, selecting it from the wrong portion of the
image whenever drawn over (e.g., move a terminal on and off).
Likewise, drawing a selection rectangle on the desktop reveals similar
background refresh inconsistencies.  The selection also won't extend
past 1600x1200, pointing to a hardwired screen size issue.

Thanks,

JD Smith