Gnome config files update method?

Hi all -

We've seen some instances where gnome config files that reside on XFS
are not being flushed to disk correctly - after a lockup, reset, or
sometimes even a normal reboot, users have reported gnome config files
with extents, but no data.  This even happens if the user logs out of
gnome before the reset.  The affected files are generally text files in
the .gnome directory, especially the panel file.

Can someone point me to where/how the gnome config files are updated, so
I can take a look at how this might interact with XFS?  Is there any
chance that these files would be held open after the user has logged
out?

Thanks,

-Eric

sandeen sgi com   SGI, Inc.