gnome pixmaps

Hello,

I'm new with Linux and Gnome.
I made a small application with a custom icon (xpm file) on a button.
I compiled it and all works fine. No warning or error message.
But when I run it I can't see my icon and appears a warning:
"Couldn't find pixmap file: /myproject/myicon.xpm".
I know that the problem is in the gnome_pixmap_file() call that I use to create pixmap from file.
The function gnome_pixmap_file looks for file in /usr/share/pixmaps/myproject,
but when I do 'make install' the file is installed in /usr/local/share/pixmaps/myproject.

Why is there this incoherence?

Why the xpm file is installed in /usr/local/share/pixmaps/myproject when the output of 'gnome-config --prefix' is /usr
and the output of 'gnome-config --datadir' is /usr/share?

In my Gnome project tree I have a pixmaps directory with 2 file:
myicon.xpm and Makefile.am.
Here is the Makefile.am:
EXTRA_DIST = myicon.xpm
pixmapdir = $(datadir)/pixmaps
pixmap_DATA = myicon.xpm

I don't understand what happens.
Can you help me? Do you know what is wrong or how I can by-pass the problem?

Thanks, Sara
sara_lovison yahoo com