Re: [linas linas org: Re: Linux Terminal Server Project need for thinXwindows]

linas linas org (Linas Vepstas) writes:

> If one wanted to have a really high-performance, low-bandwidth
> remote X11 desktop, the best way to do this would be to not
> use the drawing part of the X11 protocol directly, but instead
> create an X11 extension that knew about the gnome widget set.
> Handling things like slider redraws, or menu draws could be done
> in the extension.    Anyone ever started anything like this
> for gnome?

I don't think it's at all obvious you'd get a noticeable speedup from
this. You'd really need to analyze what all the current traffic
contains to have a fair opinion. And it would be an engineering task
of very substantial size to implement.

> Is this measurement with or without LBX (the Low Bandwidth
> Extension to the X-Server)?  Even if LBX is installed, are
> you sure its enabled?  (I beleive LBX compresses some of
> the data and should help bandwidth).

Note that LBX is apparently considered kind of a dumb idea, because
just running your X connection over SSH compresses things equally
well, and is secure to boot.

Havoc