Re: Mono and GNOME. The long reply.

On Sat, 2002-02-09 at 09:25, Martin Sevior wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Feb 2002, Michael Meeks wrote:
>
> > Hi Martin,
> >
> > On Thu, 2002-02-07 at 04:48, Martin Sevior wrote:
> > > A word processor and a presentation program.
> >
> > 	Building good infrastructure is really important for code reuse, code
> > re-use can result in fewer bugs, a more coherent platform, far less
> > duplication of effort etc.
>
> Right. Spend two years building the platform and in the meantime KOffice
> eats our lunch....

I agree, building infrastructure is very important but we can't slow development
of what users really want while we do so. We have to strike a good balance in
between. Bonobo was, for my taste, on the "lets build some infrastructure" while
user visible improvements slowed down, there is nothing wrong with this, we learned a
lot with Bonobo. Mono sounds great, we just need to be careful with it and
integrate slowly and when it is ready.

> > [2] - NB. of course, not necessarily true, but my perception, eg.
> > 	+ "It doesn't print to PDF" feature request which should really be
> > 	+ "It doesn't use gnome-print on every platform, and so someone gets to
> > re-invent chunks of gnome-print in AbiWord which hasn't been done yet"
>
> Bad example. PDF from gnome-print is barely usable. A simple two page doc
> blows out to 500 kB :-(. I'll use ps2pdf in the future.

I'll be surprised if ps2pdf generates better output than the pdf driver. It
might be the case, i've never done any tests with it. /me founds my weekend
project

[I've also have the impression that not a lot of users are filing bug reports
on the pdf driver, so either it a) it is the first piece of software that
is bug free, b)nobody is using it or c) whoever is using it is not reporting
bugs.]

regards,
Chema