Re: gnome/kde cooperation

On 21 Feb 2002, Jens Askengren wrote:

> tor 2002-02-21 klockan 19.41 skrev Travis Emslander:
>
> > No, but I'd just like to voice my support for replacing esd with arts.
> > Every time I try playing a divx movie or any other long video clip and
> > have esd running SDL will automatically put the sound through it.  And
> > it always will sound clear then start getting garbled beyond recognition
> > and stay that way for a couple minutes until it finally gets clear
> > again.  But then the cycle just continues.
>
> Is aRts latency low enough to be used in games and realtime audio
> applications?

In this area, arts has the same basic design problems as esound, and
perhaps just some different implementation problems.

Making GNOME use arts instead of esound would provide something with a
different set of weaknesses and strengths, but not something with a
substantial leap forward that overcomes the cost of switching.

The arts author has a certain set of priorities that deserve respect, but
that doesn't mean those priorities (such as building a media-handling
layer into the sound server) jive with the direction GNOME seems to be
going (such as GStreamer).

This issue has come up many times - a mailing list archive search will
give you even more opinions. :)

Also, Havoc has a patch from bugzilla somewhere that fixes some noticeable
issues with esound skipping on output - I'm guessing those will make a lot
of people happy.
-- Elliot