Re: Mono and GNOME. The long reply.

On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 04:43:28PM -0500, Miguel de Icaza wrote:

> I have been suggesting people to work with OpenOffice, and to work with
> the OpenOffice hackers to improve that code base.  Although I love
> Gnumeric (I wrote a large chunk of it), right now if you want to have
> good interoperability with Windows applications, OpenOffice is your best
> bet.  They are on the high-end side of the scale.

In terms of pure feature count OpenCalc is still ahead in that they
have support for several power user features (pivot tables, change
logs).  However, Gnumeric development is sprinting along.  For basic
use Gnumeric is smaller, faster, and more stable.  I stand by my
initial assessment that Gnumeric & GNOME provide a better platform
for development.  We also do a very good job of inter-operability
with MS-Office (tm).

With luck, cross pollination between the projects will lift all
boats.  However, I think effort is better spent on extensions for
applications like Gnumeric which will be useful to OpenOffice as
they adopt GNOME technology.

Jody