Re: gdk_fontset_load and font descriptor

>> "VH" == Vlad Harchev <hvv hippo ru> writes:

[...]

>  First, "adobe-helvetica" contains only latin1 glyphs, so use "*-helvetica"
> instead of "adobe-helvetica" (because helvetica from other vendors can
> contain the user locale's glyphs, while adobe's - definitely won't).
>  Second, don't ever append ",*-r-*" to font descriptor. This is very bad
> practice that leads to very funny visual appearance.
>  Third, make it translatable.
>  So we got the 1st variant. :)

Then I did a quick grep in gnome-core and some font aren't translated in
gnome-about/gnome-about.c

But I still don't understand why gdk_fontset_load is unable to return a
font name instead of NULL.

See

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=116004&msg=17&repeatmerged=yes

This bug is very annoying for end user who don't know what's wrong, and
especially with gmc http://bugs.debian.org/108375 or with anjusta
http://bugs.debian.org/110885 or with galeon
http://bugs.debian.org/116004 whit i nice segfault.

Christian