Re: gdk_fontset_load and font descriptor

Am Fre, 2002-01-11 um 15.18 schrieb Christian Marillat:

> >> "VH" == Vlad Harchev <hvv hippo ru> writes:
>

> [...]
>
> >  First, "adobe-helvetica" contains only latin1 glyphs, so use "*-helvetica"
> > instead of "adobe-helvetica" (because helvetica from other vendors can
> > contain the user locale's glyphs, while adobe's - definitely won't).
> >  Second, don't ever append ",*-r-*" to font descriptor. This is very bad
> > practice that leads to very funny visual appearance.
> >  Third, make it translatable.
> >  So we got the 1st variant. :)
>
> Then I did a quick grep in gnome-core and some font aren't translated in
> gnome-about/gnome-about.c
Are you 100% sure translating font names is correct at all? I severely
doubt it, but would be pleased to be corrected.

AFAIK, GdkFontNames are directly passed to X*FontQuery and friends. I
have already seen gnome-applications to fail (E.g.: gnome-hint), due to
applying internationalization of this kind:

gdk_font_load( _("fixed"));

In internationalized environment, this can cause "fixed" to be passed as
translated string and will cause XLoadQueryFont to fail subsequently.

Therefore, IMHO, it probably is a severe bug to translate fontnames at
all

Ralf