Re: Word attachment...on linuxtoday

On Sun, 13 Jan 2002, Charles Iliya Krempeaux wrote:

> What Free Software (and Open Source Software) really needs, IMO, is
> a good vector graphics engine.  Time and time again, you hear developers
> wanting to use SVG in their GUIs.  (Myself being one of them.)  (Yes, I
> know there is "librsvg", but it is not good enough.)

Yes indeed. The AbiWord team plan to builds such a thing after our 1.0
milestone.

<snip>

> As far as I know though, no one is developing a good and fast (Free)
> vector graphics engine.  The only thing I know about is the SVG
> component for Mozilla.  But I don't think this is a general rendering
> engine.  I doubt it supports any kind of hardware acceleration or
> assembly-language-optimization needed for a real high-performance
> system.  (But correct me if I am wrong though.)

We will get on this in a month or so I hope. Feel free to join in :-)

Cheers

Martin Sevior

BTW The AbiWord *.doc importer allows me to read all the MS Word docs
people send me. However my solution post 1.0 will be to send a *.abw file
as an attachment back with a simple one line email:

Download this program to read this document. (Plus a link of course :-)