Re: Word attachment...on linuxtoday

Hello,

On Mon, 2002-01-14 at 19:31, Richard Stallman wrote:
>     This may be said in ignorance, but isn't SVG a good substitute for PDF?
>
> What exactly is "SVG"?  I know it as an abbreviation for "scalable
> vector graphics", but that is a general idea, not a specific format
> someone could go and use.

I was referring to the SVG format defined (or being defined) by the
W3C.

> The W3C is considering a standard format for SVG, but there is a
> controversy because that standard is covered by a patent or patents
> which would make it impossible for free software to implement it.

That's very unfortunate.  The SVG format seemed very promising.
(Especially with its "filters"!  You have the potential to really
do some interesting stuff with SVG's "filters".)

> believe one patent is in the hands of Apple.  So that format, as now
> proposed, seems not to be a good choice.

Do you have links to the various patents that are causing the
conflict?

> But I am not sure whether you mean that format or some other.

Like I said, I was refering to W3C's SVG format.

>     This would also make Linux (more?) source compatible with Apple.
>     (I.e., grab the GNUStep stuff, the [yet to be implemented]
>     Linux-Quart2D-implementation, and some other stuff, and porting should
>     be a snap.)
>
> Are you suggesting putting GNUstep into Linux?  It seems rather
> unmodular to do that.  If you mean making the GNU/Linux system more
> compatible with MacOS, please don't call the system "Linux".  It is
> more GNU than Linux.  We here, working on the GNU system, need to
> remind the users of that.

I meant the latter.

(Sorry... I wasn't trying to belittle anything the GNU project is doing
or has done.  I'm just accustomed calling the entire
OS-plus-various-software-packages combo "Linux".)

See ya

     Charles Iliya Krempeaux
     tnt @ linux.ca
     ckrempea @ alumni.sfu.ca