To: cestsystemwiz bigfoot com
Cc: linas linas org
Subject: Re: Linux Terminal Server Project need for thinXwindows
From: linas linas org (Linas Vepstas)

On Sun, Jan 27, 2002 at 06:39:14AM -0800, DisDaSystemWiz was heard to remark:
> http://www.ltsp.org/index.php (main ltsp site)
> http://www.k12ltsp.org/  (ltsp for schools)
> http://www.k12ltsp.org/classroom.html (best case study)
>
> We have been looking to run ltsp stuff remote,
> however, everyone seems to be in agreement that
> Xwindows takes up too much bandwidth to run much
> without all kinds of playing with multiple servers,
> switches etc... and then remote bandwidth is maybe too
> much.  For example Citrix ICA runs on much less
> bandwidth (15-25 times less than X11 - CItrix has a

Is this measurement with or without LBX (the Low Bandwidth
Extension to the X-Server)?  Even if LBX is installed, are
you sure its enabled?  (I beleive LBX compresses some of
the data and should help bandwidth).

I beleive that there is another X-protocol compression
extension, but I forget its name.

I have never used VNC... maybe VNC would suit you bettter?

> ICA part that works on 3 other UNIX servers (see
> http://www.citrix.com/products/metaframe/unix/default.asp
> -ALSO see How ICA differs from the X protocol here:
> http://download2.citrix.com/ctxlibrary/products/pdf/PerformanceWP.pdf
>  )
> I have been asking around about this and have seen no
> answer yet.  Do you know if it is possible to run a
> thiner X that would be equal to or better than Citrix

To get on par with citrix may require adding a protocol
extension to support gnome widgets and/or kde widgets;
as far as I know, nobody has done this.  It would be
several weeks of work (at least) -- kind-of a big job ...
but interesting.

--linas

--
pub  1024D/01045933 2001-02-01 Linas Vepstas (Labas!) <linas linas org>

----- End forwarded message -----

--
pub  1024D/01045933 2001-02-01 Linas Vepstas (Labas!) <linas linas org>