using Gnome from a library

I want to call some routines in gnome-mime and gnome-mime-info from a C++
library. If Gnome is not running, I don't want to start it. How do I do this?

This is for possible inclusion in my JConfig library, which is part java
and part native code. Alternatively, is there a way for java to link to Gnome?

Send Sun a Message!       Vote for JConfig here:

http://www.sys-con.com/java/readerschoice2002/nominationform.cfm

See the 'Best Class Library', 'Best Component', and 'Most Innovative
Product' categories. Thanks!

Get JConfig here: http://www.jconfig.com

Use JConfig to: enumerate the user's hard drives,
launch processes, get the file type of a file,
launch the user's default web browser, and much more.