configure.in or configure.ac

Hi,

I'm in the process of porting my app to gnome2 and I saw that I should
be using autoconf 2.5 and as a result should be using configure.ac
rather than configure.in (also debian autoconf seems to determine
whether to use autoconf 2.5 based on whether or not you use .ac or .in).

However the gnome autogen.sh in the macros directory scans configure.in
so perhaps I should not be using configure.ac?

Or do I need to pass an option somewhere saying I'm useing configure.ac?

Oh and I think the porting doc should be moved under documentation I
never thought to look under the dot plan section I was begining to doubt
that one had been written.
--

rob