Re: MGT and vttest

On 29 May 2002, Cristiano De Michele wrote:

> Hi,

> > > Dear Thomas,
> > > ok about MGT terminal emulator
> > > you was right, 1.x tests of vttest didn't work,
> >
> > The 1.x looks ok - but from a quick check, there are still several problems.
> > Just a quick outline:
> > 	In 5.x, the numeric keypad doesn't act as expected.
> what do you mean by '...doesn't work as expected'?
> here works fine and exactly the same way xterm does...
> what's your system? maybe some specific problem with that?

possibly, but what I see is the PC-style arrow-keys, no VT100-compatible
stuff.  I built it on Debian unstable.

> > 	6.x, terminal reports should do at least either 6.6 or 6.7 (preferably
> > 	both).  If it's vt102, then 6.7 is expected.  (Not useful, but...)
> ok I'll add such reports...
>

> > 	The terminal doesn't seem to have any way to set vt220 mode.  So I
> > 	can't check the function-keys in 5.x or the character-set stuff
>
> "Sorry, a real VT100 terminal doesn't have function keys"

that's because it doesn't identify as a vt220.  Compare with xterm using
the "-ti 200" option.  That tells it to run on some vt220-functionality
(including the DA responses) which is not VT100-compatible.  Menu 12 can
then select different levels including VT100.

For testing xterm, I have this script linked to vt52, vt100, vt220:

!/bin/sh -x
NAME=`basename $0`
LEVEL=`echo $NAME|sed -e 's/^vt//'`
PATH=.:$PATH xterm -tn $NAME -fn 9x15 -ti $LEVEL -xrm "*sunKeyboard:true" $*

> this is the message I get from my xterm, I have a Debian
> woody up to date, and also from MGT in test 5.7
> About character set I'm sure they work fine,
>
> > 	such as single-shifts and locking shifts in menu 3.  Also, the
> > 	8-bit controls don't work, e.g., 11.1.1
>
> see what follows:
>
> 8-bit controls enabled:    <27> [ 1 ; 1 R  failed
>

> 8-bit controls disabled:    <27> [ 1 ; 1 R  ok
>
> as above this is what I get from my xterm

that's because it's only valid in VT220-mode.

--
T.E.Dickey <dickey herndon4 his com>
http://invisible-island.net