automated panel launchers for users

Hi all,
Im new to gnome dev and interested in how to automate, perferably by script, the creation a gnome app launchers. I have " panel > add to panel > launcher .... " to create a app launcher for root and now I would like to be able to automate this for other users in the same group. There is obviously more than copying ~/.gnome/panel.d/default/launcher/{myLanucher}.desktop files since this was the first hack I attempted :-)
Also, how much more difficult if the launchers are in a drawer ?

Any pointers or examples are appreciated.

PS : Im not on this mailing list so direct replies to joes rdsgmail jpl nasa gov would really help

Thanks, Joe