Re: Small embeddable scripting language ?

On Wed, 2002-11-27 at 23:07, Biswapesh Chattopadhyay wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm looking for a scripting engine for Anjuta. It would be used for
> extending functionality through user-defined tools as well as a
> templating language for wizards. The requirements are:
>
> 1) Small (since we'll probably have to distribute it with Anjuta)
> 2) Reasonably fast
> 3) Embeddable from C programs
> 4) Ability to register/call C functions
> 5) Free
>
> My guess is that we are not the first project looking for this since it
> seems to be a pretty obvious thing to do once things get bigger than a
> certain size. So far, I like Lua (http://www.lua.org/) - however, the
> syntax seems a bit weird - I'd prefer a minimal learning curve for
> people (including me).

Erg, I had a very nice e-mail all laid out in response, and idiot me
deleted it instead of sending it (12 am e-mail sending will be the death
of me yet...)

Anyways, the meat of it was, if you don't mind working with a developing
(tho already quite usable) language, take a look at Scriptix
(http://www.awemud.net/scriptix/)

It's pretty much designed solely for extending apps, is quite small and
fast (and will be faster yet once the optimization layer is complete),
has rather "standard" C/C++/Java/C# -like syntax, is OO, and, simply,
Works(tm).

There's not documentation yet, unfortunately, me being the stereotypical
coder; it is used by AweMUD, which can be used as "documentation" of a
sort, and I'm always willing to help, answer questions, work on problems
areas, etc.