Re: Small embeddable scripting language ?

Malcolm: Thanks for your suggestions. The problem with the suggested
apps is that none of them use a C/C++ or BASIC like syntax. I'm looking
for a language which beginner/intermediate level C programmers feel
comfortable with.

Scheme like languages tend to scare away people new to Linux.
Python is pretty good but may not be installed on systems, e.g. Solaris.
That is probably not a very strong argument and it seems to be very
popular - I'll definitely have to give it a go. Any idea how
easy/difficult integration is inside a C program ? Also, Python is
pretty big these days, which makes me hesitate before adding this as a
requirement.
Perl is also rather heavyweight and I'm unsure about how well it
integrates *inside* an app. I guess I'll have to give XChat code a look
to see.

Sean: Scriptix looks pretty promising from your description - I'm
downloading it now to have a look at it. However, I'm a bit queasy about
the *total* lack of any documentation/simple examples. What are your
short-term development plans ?

Malcolm: About distributing the scripting engine, most apps seem to do
this or force you to download and install the scripting engine of their
choice. For example, I'm not sure where librep is used outside Sawfish.
It makes the user's job easier if the language is bundled. Also, version
incompatibity might pose problems. But I'm open to the idea of
distributing the engine seperately, but we'll have to weigh the pros and
cons carefully. That's why I put small size as one of the requirements.
If the engine is tiny (Lua is ~ 150K zuipped) it doesn't make much
difference to the total download size but saves a lot of hassles for the
user.

Anyone with Lua embedding experience ? Any other
suggestions/pointers/code ?

Thanks in advance,
Biswa.