Orbit and Metacity

Hello,

I have a strange problem with Orbit (2.4.3) and Metacity (2.4.2) in Gnome 2.1

I am trying to enable network sockets in Corba (to be able to run gnome applications on multiple servers). I found in the Orbit FAQ that I have to create a ~/.orbitrc file with ORBIIOPIPv4=1
That works fine except for one application: metacity

Somehow, with this setting, metacity cannot resolve anymore symbolic hostname in my DISPLAY
(which I need because I have an exported display).

I found a way to reproduce the behavior without a remote display by using Xnest.
My hostname is 'simak'

(1) create a new X display using Xnest and open an xterm to test it.

# Xnest :2 &
# HOST=simak
# xterm -display $HOST:2

(2) create ~/.orbitrc

# echo ORBIIOPIPv4=1 > ~/.orbitrc

(3) start metacity. It fails!!!!!!!!

# metacity --display=$HOST:2
_X11TransSocketINETConnect: not INET hostsimak
 Window manager error: Unable to open X display simak:2

(4) remove ~/.orbitrc

# rm ~/.orbitrc

(5) restart metacity. This time it should work

# metacity --display=$HOST:2

Metacity works fine when the DISPLAY contains an IP address instead of a symbolic name.

One of the interesting things I noticed in metacity is that gconf (and so orbit) is configured before
the call of gtk_init_check() that produces the error messages.

Could it be that the orbit configuration in gconf breaks the X11 hostname resolution?

Stephane Chauveau