Re: new application, Gnome Clipboard Manager

On Wed, 2002-09-25 at 23:42, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> I don't remember any followups to your mail, so just a couple
> comments:

>  - I think the feature is really useful and important.
>    We should get it in core GNOME.

I would like to note that there could be one problem with adding Gnome
Clipboard Manager to core GNOME. That problem is the fact that targets
can be very large and that Gnome Clipboard Manager must keep of copy of
them all (in case the user did not limit the max amount of collected
selections). This means that Gcm could become a very memory consuming
component in core GNOME (in case it would be started by default and the
user does not know about it for example). I am adding a feature which
will give the user the ability to specify the max-length of a specified
target-type and a default max. target length. Both features will be off
by default because it will manipulate the selections of the user. She
might loose data while cutting text if she does not know about the max.
sizes of the targets in Gnome Clipboard Manager.

However, I am still adding the feature a.t.m.; what is finished is
already available in current CVS. If you get the cvs version you will
also notice a 'Copy and convert to' feature :) this is not finished yet
of course. It will be used to automagically copy (and try to convert if
nessesairy) a specific target-type into another target-type. For example
usefull when copypasting from Mozilla to your texteditor (copypasting
HTML tags by making Gnome Clipboard Manager copy the text/html target to
the COMPOUND_TEXT target).

All these features are of course "I am trying out, maybe it's a cool
idea"-stuff :-). So I am not sure if they will work; or get finished
someday.

--
Philip van Hoof aka freax (http://www.freax.eu.org)
irc: irc.openprojects.net mailto:me at freax dot org