Re: Why file content sniffing sucks

Elliot Lee wrote:
On Wed, 24 Dec 2003, Fabio Gomes wrote:

File type determination by content is crap. It's a misfeature. It is completely unnecessary. Its benefits do not compensate its drawbacks:

The "right solution" might be to use file content as a fallback if the
file extension doesn't have a completely unambiguous meaning.

Personally, I think extension approaches suck. Then again, I've been a UNIX guy for 25 years. I think that maybe the file determination needs to be refined.

Actually, the best solution would be to support both and let the user choose.

--
Until later, Geoffrey	esoteric 3times25 net