Re: Why file content sniffing sucks

On Wed, 2003-12-24 at 20:39, Geoffrey wrote:
> Personally, I think extension approaches suck.  Then again, I've been a
> UNIX guy for 25 years.  I think that maybe the file determination needs
> to be refined.
>
> Actually, the best solution would be to support both and let the user
> choose.

Yes, but hasn't the HIG taught you anything? :P

Which should be the default if this is supported?

I think file content is the _right_ method, but if it's blocking usage
of Nautilus then it is being _badly_ implemented.  It should just chug
along in the background, detecting the files and repainting the icons
without interrupting the user.

- Charlie

--
Charles Goodwin <charlie xwt org>