Re: mime types

On Sat, 2003-12-27 at 12:22, Albert Mora wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> today I was playing with icon thems and I found something that was illogical for my eyes: why the mime type for .ogg files is "application/ogg" and "application/x-ogg"? Tthe most logical (following mp3 example) should be "audio/ogg" and "audio/x-ogg", shouldn't it?

Ogg is the data encapsulation format. See RFC 3533, for example. One use
of this format is to wrap up audio that is encoded using the Vorbis
format. There was, at one time, a proposal written to register an
audio/vorbis MIME type, but that fell by the wayside.

Other uses of the ogg format include Theora, the video codec, so it's
not strictly for audio use (or even for single streams: the annodex
project is using it for all sorts of multimedia inside the one file, for
example).

Cheers,
Malcolm