Re: Suggestion for file type detection approach

 or provide a very easy way to
circumvents it.

Here we are, we need a usable way to open a file with a user chosen app.

And it should especially be transparent, currenty I
have a bunch of files that get detected wrong, while pretty similar
files get detected correct, this is pretty damn confusing and
irritating.

Can you point us at the corresponding bug reports in bugzilla ?

The suffix should be more authoritive than the content, at least in
some cases, ie when I name a .html, .xml file or whatever .txt, I want
it to be handled as plain text, not launch mozilla once I click on it.

.html/.xml files should be handled as text/plain? Hmmm... It seems you are confusing proper behaviour and the way *you* want things to work to fit your habits.

Cheers,

Christophe