Re: gnome-vfs/GIOChannel for parsing

On Thu, 2003-02-20 at 18:08, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> In short it's a bug if we have "GTK apps" and "GNOME apps"

	That's just rubbish.

> GTK should be a complete framework to write an app that works well on
> UNIX/Linux X11 desktops, with a single coherent API with coherent
> documentation

	Balls - Gtk+ should be a widget toolkit - and it should aim to be a
good one. It shouldn't aim to be all of Gnome; there is no point in
that - it's a massively redundant, and pointless duplication of effort.

> and apps should not be tied to the desktop environment they are
> running under.

	And what does that mean ? apart from "Hey - lets all sit down and
re-write everything" - and/or bin any feature not in some common,
standardized, insipid, least common denominator ? you sure this isn't
the CADT development model ?

	The thing that most deeply concerns me about the "Gtk+ should swallow
Gnome" camp, is that one company utterly controls glib/gtk+ - it would
be terrible if one company swallowed Gnome.

	Regards,

		Michael.